Position Title: Financial Controller / Manager
Immediate Supervisor: Hospital CEO
Our client is expected to grow into a permanent capital healthcare platform by 2019 across 10 cities, covering a catchment area of 150m people, with 70 hospitals/clinics (with +10,000 beds) and 235 diagnostics centres that have a consolidated EBITDA of +$195m, employing 57,000 people and that is expected to serve c17m patients per annum.
The Financial Manager will be part of the hospital senior management team, initially being part of a single unit and as the business grow, may take on responsibility for multiple business units within the West Africa platform.
Overall responsibilities include 1) managing the financial reporting from, monitoring financial performance of, and implementing consistent and optimal financial reporting and control practices in line with business operations and growth 2) assisting the Global CFO in consolidating financial data across the platform level for the financial reporting and other administrative purposes.
Group Reporting & Budgeting
- Ensure the accurate and timely preparation of consolidated financial statements of the business unit.
- Monthly reporting of consolidated financials and operational KPIs of the business unit
- Financial analysis including revenue management/projection, audit, return on investment modelling, cost benefit and risk analysis, budgeting (revenue/manpower/project/CAPEX), general quantitative analysis and statistics
- Ensuring efficient financial operations in terms of patient billing, credit bill dispatch, credit collection, cancelled services and insurance disallowance; a requirement for this will be seamless coordination with Revenue Cycle Management Department and with other areas in Operations
- Achieving measurable success with Dispatch/Debtor/Disallowance Days, Overhead Containment, OPD/IPD/OT Utilisation, Patient Volumes processed, staff retention and patient satisfaction
- Consulting internal stakeholders (Revenue Cycle Management, Patient Services, Physicians, Nurses, Department Heads etc) and external clients (Suppliers, Insurers etc.) taking improvement actions where appropriate
- Prepare and manage the annual operating budget, periodic financial forecasts, and cash flows. To this end, Finance Department will train and support every department in the development of their annual budget proposal, as well as keep them regularly updated with monthly and quarterly budget execution reports, and facilitating professional advice to maximize operational efficiency.
- Coordinate with Global CFO in financing the capital needs of the division in a timely manner either through equity drawdowns or bank lending
- Work closely with Managing Director and Procurement Head to extract procurement synergies
Support in the business unit and platform’s M&A and growth activities
- Before making an acquisition, support the financial due diligence process when considering acquisitions of new businesses
- Upon completion of an acquisition, lead the hiring process of Financial teams
- Once an acquisition is made, oversee and ensure full financial reporting integration as part of the 100 Day Plan
- Establish and maintain a system to monitor quality of service and internal user satisfaction with every request for support from the Finance Department, as well as satisfaction with the quality of their regular reporting and support responsibilities
Oversee finance department
- Oversee and ensure the consistency of the financial operations and reporting practice
- Ensure the implementation of the best-in-class financial reporting and control practices
Qualifications and Experience
Minimum Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS), preferably in Accounting
- Professional qualified ACA, ACCA, ACMA, CPA or equivalent
- 5 to 10 years of financial reporting or auditing experience in a similar role
- Operation experience in multi-geography business preferred
- Prior work experience in Africa
- Prior experience in healthcare sector is a plus
- English fluency is a must
Technical and Behavioral Competencies
- Strong technical financial skills, such as general accounting; improving or implementing financial systems; forecast and budget processes and working capital management
- Excellent project management skills and exceptional ability to multi task
- Excellent team player with proactive approach in engaging with all internal stakeholders
- Positive attitude and an ability to adapt an ever-changing environment
- Service oriented professional that imbues the department with a true sense of commitment to user support
- Exhibits the highest standards of reliability, honesty, integrity, and ethical standards.
- Self-start, innovative & dependable
- Exhibits high quality of service behavior when interacting with stakeholders and supporting their needs
- Embodies client’s core principles
- Operational and Commercial
- Able to understand and articulate the financial impact of business decisions
- Is a proven performer in a commercial environment while also being able to leverage cross-sector learning, and is able to operate across the value chain and across different geographies and cultures
- Able to bring a combination of operational and commercial skill sets in portfolio management (including risk, regulatory compliance, global best practice and predicting disruptive issues in the businesses)
- Able to influence both internal and external stakeholders; able to lead development of elements of the commercial VCP and motivate teams to execute it.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills