The Pathologist is responsible to the Chief Medical Officer. The Pathologist is a member of the senior medical team and will be responsible for analysing laboratory data and conducting research that adds critical detail to previous clinical studies. He/she provides leadership and guidance in establishing the highest standards of care and ensuring optimal delivery of quality care in line with international best practices.
- Review cases by analysing autopsies, laboratory findings, or case investigation reports.
- Manage medical laboratories.
- Develop or adopt new tests or instruments to improve diagnosis of diseases.
- Conduct research and present scientific findings.
- Perform autopsies to determine causes of deaths.
- Identify the etiology, pathogenesis, morphological change, and clinical significance of diseases.
- Conduct genetic analyses of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) or chromosomes to diagnose small biopsies and cell samples.
- Write pathology reports summarizing analyses, results, and conclusions.
- Analyze and interpret results from tests such as microbial or parasite tests, urine analyses, hormonal assays, fine needle aspirations (FNAs), and polymerase chain reactions (PCRs).
- Communicate pathologic findings to surgeons or other physicians.
- Diagnose diseases or study medical conditions using techniques such as gross pathology, histology, cytology, cytopathology, clinical chemistry, immunology, flow cytometry, and molecular biology.
- Testify in depositions or trials as an expert witness.
- MBBS/MBChB or equivalent
- Fellowship in the Faculty of Pathology of either the West African College of Physicians (WACP) and/or the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMCN);
Equivalent fellowship in a country where you can obtain license to practice in Nigeria
- Must be a minimum of two-years post-fellowship.
- Full registration with the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- Foreign training and experience is an added advantage.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good visual recognition abilities
- Good practical skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Effective decision-making skills
- Leadership skills
- Communication skills, and ability to work under pressure
- Drive to continue learning throughout career.
- Strong IT/computer skills