The ECHO Technician Nurse is responsible for the delivery of high quality nursing care to patients and carers whilst assisting in the production of images of heart muscle and functioning by setting-up ultrasound equipment; attaching electrodes to chest and equipment; operating and adjusting equipment; recording cardiac data and measurements; protecting and helping patients.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
- Prepares for examinations by checking equipment and inventorying and restocking supplies; reviewing patient schedules; reading physician orders for specific examinations; setting-up recording equipment; entering patient information into system.
- Reduces patient anxieties by explaining procedures; answering questions; providing assistance to examination table or treadmill.
- Prepares patients by positioning patient; spreading gels; attaching electrodes to chest and equipment; adjusting equipment controls; verifying wave signals.
- Obtains quality images by positioning and repositioning transducer; monitoring display screen; listening to signals; adjusting equipment for beam strength and focus; detecting artefacts that mimic abnormalities; recording images.
- Records examination information by printing graphics and data; calculating measurements of heart wall, chamber size, and blood flow direction and velocity; comparing measurements to norms.
- Protects patients by adhering to safety policies and protocols.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential; cautioning others regarding potential breaches.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- At least a Bachelor Degree in Nursing or its equivalent with specialized Echocardiography training/certification
- Registration with the National Association of Nurses and Midwifery of Nigeria, or licensed to practice in their current country and able to register in Nigeria.
- At least 3 years relevant ECHO Technician nursing experience
- Job experience abroad (US, UK, South Africa, etc.) is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- More than basic computer literacy
- The ability to perform all duties accurately in a professional manner
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Knowledge of management principles, processes and procedures.
- Skill and ability to coach and develop others.
- Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- Excellent teamwork abilities