The Social Worker provides individuals, families, and groups with the psychosocial support needed to cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses. He/she may be required to provide services such as advising family care givers, providing patient education and counselling, and making referrals for other services. May also provide care and case management or interventions designed to promote health, prevent disease, and address barriers to access to healthcare.
- Collaborate with other professionals to evaluate patients' medical or physical condition and to assess client needs.
- Advocate for clients or patients to resolve crises.
- Refer patient, client, or family to community resources to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness and to provide access to services such as financial assistance, legal aid, housing, job placement or education.
- Investigate child abuse or neglect cases and take authorized protective action when necessary.
- Counsel clients and patients in individual and group sessions to help them overcome dependencies, recover from illness, and adjust to life.
- Monitor, evaluate, and record client progress according to measurable goals described in treatment and care plan.
- Plan discharge from care facility to home or other care facility.
- Interview clients to gather information about their backgrounds, needs, or progress.
- Organize support groups or counsel family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting the client or patient.
- Utilize consultation data and social work experience to plan and coordinate client or patient care and rehabilitation, following through to ensure service efficacy.
- Supervise and direct other workers providing services to clients or patients.
- Bachelor’s degree in any relevant field
- A Master’s degree or additional postgraduate qualification in an equivalent field is an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ experience
- Foreign training and experience is an added advantage
- Minimum of basic computer skills
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work long hours, often under pressure
- Ability to solve problems
- Effective decision-making and leadership skills
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team