The Nutritionist plans and conducts food service or nutritional programs to assist in the promotion of health and control of disease. He/she may supervise the activities of a department providing quality food services, counsel individuals, or conduct nutritional research. He/she is expected to contribute to providing exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring, and compassion are held very high.
- Assess nutritional needs, diet restrictions and current health plans to develop and implement dietary-care plans; and also provide nutritional counselling.
- Consult with physicians and health care personnel to determine nutritional needs and diet restrictions of patient or client.
- Advise patients and their families on nutritional principles, dietary plans and diet modifications, and food selection and preparation.
- Counsel individuals and groups on basic rules of good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and nutrition monitoring to improve their quality of life.
- Monitor food service operations to ensure conformance to nutritional, safety, sanitation and quality standards.
- Coordinate recipe development and standardization and develop new menus for independent food service operations.
- Develop policies for food service or nutritional programs to assist in health promotion and disease control.
- Inspect meals served for conformance to prescribed diets and standards of palatability and appearance.
- Develop curriculum and prepare manuals, visual aids, course outlines, and other materials used in teaching.
- Bachelor’s degree in Dietetics/Nutrition/ or equivalent
- Master’s degree is an added advantage
- Post-graduate qualification relevant to hospital practice
- At least 3 years’ experience
- Foreign training and experience is an added advantage
- Minimum of basic computer skills
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work long hours, often under pressure
- Ability to solve problems
- Effective decision-making and leadership skills
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team