The Nursing Assistant is responsible to the Staff Nurse, and is expected to provide basic patient care under direction of the nursing staff. He/she may be required to perform duties such as feed, bathe, dress, groom, or move patients, or change linens. He/she may transfer or transport patients.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
- Answer patient call signals, signal lights, bells, or intercom systems to determine patients' needs.
- Adjust positions of patients on beds or tables.
- Provide physical support to assist patients to perform daily living activities, such as getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, using the toilet, standing, walking, or exercising.
- Record vital signs, such as temperature, blood pressure, pulse, or respiration rate, as directed by medical or nursing staff.
- Observe or examine patients to detect symptoms that may require medical attention, such as bruises, open wounds, or blood in urine.
- Document or otherwise report observations of patient behaviour, complaints, or physical symptoms to nurses.
- Administer therapy treatments to patients using hands or physical treatment aids.
- Remind patients to take medications or nutritional supplements.
- Feed patients or assist patients to eat or drink.
- Supply, collect, or empty bedpans.
- Dispose of biomedical waste in accordance with standards.
- Transport patients to treatment units, testing units, operating rooms, or other areas, using wheelchairs, stretchers, or moveable beds.
- Move patients to or from treatment areas.
- Provide information such as directions, visiting hours, or patient status information to visitors or callers.
- Transport specimens, laboratory items, or pharmacy items, ensuring proper documentation and delivery to authorized personnel.
- Transport biological or other medical materials.
- At least a diploma in nursing or its equivalent.
- At least 3 years relevant nursing experience
Knowledge and Skills Required
- The ability to perform all duties accurately in a professional manner
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- Excellent teamwork abilities