The Endoscopy nurse is required to provide excellent nursing care, and to actively participate in and contribute to the management of the Endoscopy Unit. He/she will participate in the maintenance of endoscopes and other specialized equipment used in endoscopic and non-endoscopic procedures and provide technical assistance during such procedures.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
- Ensuring a high standard of nursing care to patients attending the Endoscopy Unit, working within hospital policies and protocols.
- Providing technical assistance during diagnostic and therapeutic Endoscopic procedures
- Setting, monitoring and maintaining excellent standards of nursing care.
- Maintaining personal contact with patients and relatives, being sensitive to their needs for courtesy, dignity and privacy and ensuring a friendly environment at all times.
- Maintaining timely and accurate nursing records and ensuring that confidentiality is respected.
- Storing, checking and administering drugs in accordance with established standards and guidelines
- Working with minimal supervision during endoscopic procedures, admission and recovery of patients and other related procedures
- Participating in the care and maintenance of endoscopes and other specialized equipment, ensuring an agreed standard of decontamination at all times including accurate records of traceability of all endoscopes and associated equipment.
- Ensuring the safe discharge of all patients from the Endoscopy unit.
- Maintaining a safe and clean environment within the clinical area in accordance with established standards and regulations
- At least a Bachelor Degree in Nursing or its equivalent.
- Registration with the National Association of Nurses and Midwifery of Nigeria, or licensed to practice in Post-graduate training and/or experience in gastro-intestinal endoscopy nursing care.
- At least 3 years relevant nursing experience
- Job experience abroad (US, UK, South Africa, etc.) is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- More than basic computer literacy
- The ability to perform all duties accurately in a professional manner
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Knowledge of management principles, processes and procedures.
- Skill and ability to coach and develop others.
- Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- Excellent teamwork abilities