The Staff Nurse is responsible for the delivery of high quality nursing care to patients with kidney failure through dialysis. He/she is an active member of the multidisciplinary care team, and may be required to act as team leader and take charge of the ward in the absence of the Nursing supervisor. He/she will be required to start, monitor and perform dialysis and continuously keep a close watch on the equipment readings for their patient
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
- Work in the dialysis department and administer dialysis treatments to patients with kidney disease
- Monitor patient vital signs, communicating procedure details with patients and assessing the effectiveness of procedures, as well as being responsible for work area cleanliness.
- Assessment of nursing needs, develop, implement and evaluate nursing care to meet those needs.
- Carry out all relevant forms of care without direct supervision.
- Advise on the promotion of health and prevention of illness.
- Adhere at all times to Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria Code of Professional Conduct.
- Ensure that nursing procedures are carried out in accordance with hospital protocols and guidelines and these procedures are evidence based.
- Maintain accurate records as per hospital guidelines for records and record keeping.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality in respect of patient records, medical nursing and allied health professionals
- Store, administer and order drugs according to hospital guidelines for the administration of medicines.
- Work as cooperative member of the multidisciplinary team.
- Act as team leader, and take charge of the ward in the absence of the Nursing Supervisor.
- Help enhance junior staff/ students with clinical and managerial skills by teaching, assessing and supervision.
- Provide relief nursing cover, in Treatment Room, Minor Injuries Unit and other wards.
- At least a Bachelor Degree in Nursing or its equivalent.
- Registration with the National Association of Nurses and Midwifery of Nigeria, or licensed to practice in their current country and able to register in Nigeria.
- Post-graduate training and experience in dialysis care.
- At least 3 years relevant nursing experience.
- Job experience abroad (US, UK, South Africa, etc.) is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- More than basic computer literacy
- The ability to perform all duties accurately in a professional manner
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Knowledge of management principles, processes and procedures.
- Skill and ability to coach and develop others.
- Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- Excellent teamwork abilities