The Nursing Supervisor is responsible for the management of the assigned nursing unit and department in terms of the quality of nursing care delivered, as well as for planning, organizing, leading and evaluating nursing services. The supervisor provides leadership and oversight in the accomplishment of strategic and operational objectives of the department. Provides strategic direction for nursing and business operations, responsible for establishing strategic and tactical plans for clinical services, new programs and human resource allocation. Role requires complete and autonomous management of the technical and operational, patient care and organizational tasks of the Operating Theatre department.
- Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
- Ensures smooth and efficient nursing care and services in the operating theatre.
- Maintains an up-to-date record of all drugs, IV fluids etc as required by the pharmacy and ensures that the protocol concerning the administration and storage of all drugs are observed at all times.
- Works with the CNO to ensure overall quality of nursing service in the facility.
- Makes use of established techniques in preparing for and assisting with surgical procedures; provides and sets up necessary instruments, supplies and equipment for different types of operations, according to established routines and instructions of the surgeon.
- Ensure that principles of aseptic techniques in performing surgical scrub, setting instruments, gowning, gloving are kept as needed.
- Ensuring that appropriate stock levels are maintained in the Operating Department.
- Cleans or directs cleaning and sterilization of contaminated instruments, equipment and supplies; re-sterilizes unused supplies; cares for and stores delicate surgical instruments; cleans or assists in cleaning operating room areas and caring for and disposing of infectious and soiled linen after conclusion of each Operation.
- Participates in trials of new equipment and supplies and evaluation and serviceability of existing equipment.
- At least 10 years continuous professional experience in one or more of the following specialist theatre areas: General Surgery, Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery, Cardiac Surgery (including pediatrics). At least 3 years in a supervisory role preferred.
- Registration with the National Association of Nurses and Midwifery of Nigeria, or licensed to practice in their current country and able to register in Nigeria.
- Certification as an emergency care nurse.
- Certified BLS/ACLS completion required.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- More than basic computer literacy
- The ability to direct the work force to perform all duties clinically accurately
- Good organisational and communication skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Knowledge of management principles, processes and procedures.
- Skill and ability to coach and develop others.
- Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.