The Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) is responsible to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CNO is a member of the senior administrative team and coordinates nursing and ancillary services with patient care and support functions to assure optimum delivery of health care. Provides leadership and guidance in establishing standards for nursing and other clinical services under his/her jurisdiction. The CNO also collaborates with administrative colleagues, physician colleagues, nurse colleagues and other staff.
- Collaborates with the Medical Director in the delivery of quality patient care
- Facilitates the development and implementation of nursing services, activities, and processes across the organization to achieve efficient and effective utilization of resources and systems.
- Assures the credentialing of nursing and ancillary staff, including education, licensure, competencies, and relevant certification. Assumes responsibility for the orientation of new nursing and ancillary employees in collaboration with the hospital education and training department.
- Responsible for evaluating and providing necessary disciplinary action, and termination when indicated, of nursing and ancillary employees based on their performance in accordance with the company policy.
- Encourages collaboration among departments under his/her jurisdiction to promote coordinated delivery of patient care in accordance with the regulatory standards of all clinical services.
- Chairs nursing councils/teams to facilitate communication, establish goals and objectives for the department, resolve problems, and evaluate nursing care delivery to continually improve the quality of patient care.
- Minimum academic qualification of a Master's Degree (M.Sc) in Nursing.
- 15 years relevant work experience in Nursing. With more than 5 of those years in a managerial or supervisory role preferred.
- Registration with the National Association of Nurses and Midwifery of Nigeria, or licensed to practice in their current country and able to register in Nigeria.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Outstanding communication (oral and written), interpersonal and people management skills.
- Possess high degree of accuracy and attention to details.
- Certified BLS completion required.
- Knowledge of management principles, processes and procedures.
- Skill and ability to coach and develop others.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft office package.