The Dentist is responsible to the Chief Medical Officer. The dentist examines, diagnoses, and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums. He/she may be required to treat diseases of the nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting oral hygiene and retention of teeth. May also be required to fit dental appliances or provide preventive care.
- Examine teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, or other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments.
- Administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
- Use dental air turbines, hand instruments, dental appliances, or surgical implements; and also operate diagnostic or therapeutic medical instruments or equipment.
- Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, or malformations of teeth, gums, or related oral structures and provide preventive or corrective services.
- Design, make, or fit prosthodontic appliances, such as space maintainers, bridges, or dentures, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for denturists or dental technicians.
- Advise or instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, or oral health care services.
- BDS or equivalent
- Fellowship in the Faculty of Dentistry of either the West African College of Surgeons (WACS) and/or the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMCN);
Equivalent fellowship in a country where you can obtain license to practice in Nigeria
- Must be a minimum of two-years post-fellowship.
- Full registration with the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- Foreign training and experience is an added advantage.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work long, flexible and on-call hours, often under pressure
- Good practical skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Effective decision-making and leadership skills
- Communication skills, compassion and a good bedside manner
- Drive to continue learning throughout career.
- Strong IT/computer skills
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team